Monday, October 4, 2010

Flexibility, the overlooked skill in combat sports by Brian Michelino

When a person talks about a fight, be it MMA, kickboxing or Jiu Jitsu you might
think of a fighter being fast and strong but in reality that’s only a
small part of what it takes. In Jiu Jitsu especially you’ll find out
that if you use too much speed or too much of your strength you’re
going to get tired fast. In Jiu Jitsu and also in MMA I believe that a
particular ability is overlooked, I believe this ability is just as
important as both speed and strength that ability is: flexibility.
      
Without flexibility the bottom line is some moves will be much
tougher for you to accomplish. Entire systems like the rubber guard
(created by Eddie Bravo) become unobtainable without the adequate
amount of flexibility. High kicks are impossible without training your
flexibility, the more flexible you are the easier they are to execute.
    
I’ve adapted flexibility as a major part of my game; I believe it’s
one of the very distinctive features of my particular style. It makes
a world of difference when you're in side control against someone a lot
bigger and stronger then you and you have the ability to just slip
your foot in between his leg and recover to full guard. One of my
favorite moves (a reverse triangle from side control) can only be
accomplished once you achieved a significant amount of flexibility,
once you guys think your there come on down to D’Arce Jiu Jitsu and
I’ll be glad to show it to you haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment